Friday, July 27, 2012

Lochte vs. Phelps—Let’s not talk about swimming


As a former swimmer myself, I can say I enjoy the Olympic swimming more than most people.  It makes me feel like I have a special connection since I once swam the 50 free and own a pair of goggles.  In 2008, I also pretended to be a much better swimmer than I was so that I could get my own 3 -minute segment story (literally starring me) on ABC 6 Action News of how I work as hard as Michael Phelps because he is my role model. I like to think I understand the difficulty of their training regarding both physical and mental stamina…then I remember that I quit the swim team with 3 weeks left of my senior year.  And then I remember that if anyone made me swim more than 4 laps, lifeguards started getting ready for action.

We’ll just chalk it all up to cognitive dissonance.

Anyway, anyone who is not in a coma should know that the big show to watch is the Lochte vs. Phelps showdown in the 200 and 400 IM.  In the pool, I am an adoring fan of both of them and could not care less which way the race goes.  Outside of the pool is a different story.  Let’s talk about Lochte vs. Phelps: The Men Behind the Goggles. Who is TRULY the winner of something bigger than the Olympics?: LIFE.

Category 1: Fashion
Winner: Lochte
FUN FACT: Lochte owns over 130 pairs of shoes. 
FUN FACT: Lochte has his own amateur clothing line. 
FUN FACT:  If Lochte could be anything but an Olympic swimmer, he’d work in the fashion industry.  When the man isn’t donning a banana hammock, he’s the best dressed athlete at the games. Ralph Lauren chose him as a model for the ceremonies for the opening ceremonies because he has tied the gap between the world of athletics and aesthetics. With the amount of track suits I’ve seen Michael Phelps in, I can’t help but wonder if he thinks this is a 70’s disco.  He can’t even hold a candle to the pride Lochte takes in his appearance.  Which brings me to my next point…  


Category 2: Hotness
Winner: Lochte
Do I even need to clarify?  I really don’t think I do.  Instead of writing an orgasmic description on the gift from the gods that is this perfect specimen we refer to as Ryan, I’m putting Phelps on blast for being a troll.  He should thank sweet baby Jesus that he is a phenomenal swimmer because that is the ONLY justifiable benefit of being as freakishly disproportionate as he is.  He should also be thankful that swimming just makes you naturally hot as hell because now his cut body can distract you from his horse mouth and elf ears, making him fit the description of a creature from the Chronicles of Narnia.



Category 3: Endorsements
Winner: Lochte
I was gonna be a spokesman, then I got high.  –Afroman ft. Michael Phelps, 2009.
Who wants to blaze with Michael Phelps? Kellogg’s certainly doesn’t.  Michael Phelps’ phlop back in 2009 really cut a knife through his expected combined 100 million dollar endorsement paychecks.  Lochte still holds down a wholesome and drug-free appearance, putting him at the top of the list. Phelps may have been the face of that decade, but I could not agree more with an article in the New York Times.  Phelps is boring.  He’s out.  He’s just not as hot as Lochte.  Lochte has not only scored the cover of Time, a spread in Glamour, and the cover of Vogue, but he also signed new endorsements with Sprint, Nissan, Gatorade, and GILLETTE because he is the EPITOME OF A PERFECT MAN. Not to mention I am obsessed with the Procter & Gamble ads with the tagline "Proud Sponsor of Moms", which features this heart-warming, body chilling video of Ryan through the eyes of his mother (I literally cried...you're made of stone if you don't). It speaks volumes when you can hold down a spread in a non-sports or news related magazine with a target market of self-conscious, cosmopolitan, 20-30 something women. Phelps can get an endorsement because he’s a swimmer, but Ryan can be the face because he’s a demi-god. Not as hot means not as versatile and guess what people? Sex sells. Just ask Kim Kardashian and Ray-j.

Ryan Lochte and not-as-pretty lady: Vogue 2012


Category 4: Fan Outreach: Social Media
Winner: Lochte
As a follower of both Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte, you can tell that both of them have their fair share of times where they are not the one tweeting (BY THE WAY NOTE TO EITHER OF YOU: I WILL BE YOUR GHOST TWEETER.  WILL WORK FOR FREE. AND IF YOUR NAME IS RYAN WILL WORK FOR KISSES.  SORRY TROLL.).  But I would like to point out the generous nature of Ryan.  He is always giving away his merchandise and holding contests to personally reach out to followers.  He is more involved in his social media, potentially because at the peak of Phelps’ popularity back in 2008, social media was not quite so mandatory or popular.  To that, I say, get with it Michael.  I’m going to mention Lochte everyday of the Olympics and hope for a retweet.

Category 5: Swimming
Winner: Phelps.
Who cares? OK, I care a little bit and I am enamored by his accomplishments.  I hope to see him make history and I attest that he has the mental capacity for swimming that no one else has.  I wholeheartedly believe he will pull it out over Lochte. But have you never heard that first is the worst, second is the best?? Third guy probably just has a shaved chest.

Overall, Lochte is more than just a swimmer.  He’s a total babe who smokes marijuana in the privacy of his own basement.  He is an esteemed underdog and the freshest face the Olympics has to offer.  In my dreams, he’s also an intellectual dog-lover who enjoys funny YouTube videos and Cool Ranch Doritos, looking for a Colombian-italian 20-something girl who he thinks is cute as a button.



Maybe Phelps will get the gold, but Lochte will ALWAYS get the girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment